Re: A profile for TV

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 06:31:44 +0100, 이현재 <hj08.lee@lge.com> wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> I generally agree to have a clear definition/boundary of HTML terminology
> for TV experience would be very beneficial to entire industry.
> In doing this, several things need to be considered that profiling is a
> little bit above scope of technical standard activities and rather close
> business model of stake holders, also as Mark mentioned in the previous
> mail, it depends onto physical device's capabilities in the projected
> time
> frame. The device today will be far poorer than next year device.

agree on this and indeed what I envision is something different from
traditional "profiles".
I'm thinking more about a "meta-profile" that can be used by vertical
industry groups (or single companies) as base for their work.
Such "meta-profile" will still help to minimize fragmentation suggesting
how things could be combined togheter to make a product or a vertical spec.

If the variables are identified beforehand, and all different profiles
following this meta-profile have the same structure, is probably easier
for people to understand the differences and for implementers to follow
them.

> Moreover, for helping implementer's develop program without confusion,
> this
> work should do more than simply choosing which tags, attributes are used
> but also suggest values of attributes/properties such as default, min and
> max.

Also on this, sometimes is difficult to find values that fits every
ecosystem, but if these variable are extracted in a common place, is
immediately clear what people have to look at when reading one of the
profiles generated by this meta-profile. Also there are mistakes that have
been done in the past when doing "profiling" and that hurts
interoperability; this meta-profile should clearly highlight what such
mistakes are and why they should not be done.

TV & Connected Devices
Opera Software