Re: A profile for TV

Thanks for sending this out, Giuseppe. I would like to work on this effort.

I agree that we need to first discuss which meaning(s) of "profile" we wish to develop.

Here are two contrasting kinds of profiles to help understand the issues:

- Superset Profile
The HTML5 spec leaves many features optional that are important for interoperability (e.g. choice of XHTML and/or HTML, JavaScript, CSS, image types, media types, etc.) A Superset Profile would define, for example, that a range of devices would all support the full HTML5 spec, and additional provide requirements for many of the optional HTML5 features above. Every HTML5 browser makes decisions on optional features - the Superset Profile would just publish such decisions in a product-independent manner. This would increase interoperability amongst this set of devices and still be fully HTML5 compatible. Content written for the Superset Profile may not run on all HTML5-compliant browsers (if the content depends on optional features), but the Superset Profile would run all HTML5-compatible content.

- Subset Profile
There has been discussion at previous Web&TV Workshops that the full HTML5 spec is too expensive for some consumer devices. A Subset Profile would define, for example, a subset of HTML5 that uses fewer resources than the full spec. Content written for a Subset Profile would run on any HTML5 browser, but the Subset Profile device would not run all HTML5-compatible content.

There are a number of external organizations, particularly in the TV space, which have created HTML specifications which are Supersets, Subsets or both. Often, these external specs become obsolete when the W3C improves specifications, such as with HTML5, since the W3C has little or no knowledge of these external specs. Defining a TV Profile within W3C could provide a common profile spec for these external groups to reference. This would more closely align the external organizations with W3C and with each other. The W3C could also move these profiles forward on a regular basis to avoid obsolescence.

Thanks,
mav