Re: [MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] Adaptive Bit Rate Architectur

On Dec 12, 2011, at 11:45 PM, Lewis, Jason wrote:

Hi, in general I agree with the 3 architecture models as well.
For providing content, I think models 1 & 3 are most important:

Model 1:  Reporting & QoS mettrics are critical. When playing HLS in and
HTML5 player, we have no clear view of which bitrates are truly optimal.
Delivering to phones, tablets, and desktops across varying quality wifi or
3G networks can be like throwing darts blindfolded :)

Model 2: Nice to have, but the heuristics of selecting a bitrate based on
bandwidth & client decoding performance are pretty well understood.

Based on my work at Netflix, where we probably have one of the more advanced heuristics algorithms deployed, I would question this statement. I think there is a long way to go in understanding these heuristics.

But this is exactly why I am not so much in favour of Model 2 at this time (if the heuristics *were* well understood it might be possible to design a good API for model 2).

...Mark

Application developers shouldn't have to deal with this in order to
provide content to a customer.

Model 3: Dynamic client-side selection & appending of video segments (or
sources) is critical to present seamless video experiences to viewers.
Application developers capabilities on HTML5 generally lag behind in this
area.

I've also added three new use cases related to these thoughts:
http://www.w3.org/2011/webtv/wiki/MPTF/ADR_Error_Codes#Use_Cases

Thoughts?  Thanks, J
--
Jason Lewis
Disney Technology Solutions and Services