Fwd: Re: [MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] ISSUE-37: ViewPort-Support

forwarding to archive with proper ISSUE ID (ISSUE-37)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [MEDIA_PIPELINE_TF] ISSUE-34: ViewPort-Support
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 13:19:22 +0200
From: Cyril Concolato <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr>
To: public-web-and-tv@w3.org

Sylvia,

Le 10/08/2011 11:46, Silvia Pfeiffer a écrit :
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 5:22 PM, Cyril Concolato
> <cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr>  wrote:
>> Hi Sylvia,
>>
>> Le 10/08/2011 02:38, Silvia Pfeiffer a écrit :
>>>
>>> I wonder if instead it might be worth analysing if we can come up with
>>> a<track>    kind that allows overlaying hyperlinkable regions onto the
>>> video?
>>
>> Why wouldn't it be possible to have a track element point to some animated
>> SVG file?
>
> The<track>  element points to timed text, i.e. to a file that provides
> text fragments along the timeline of the video. SVG is not suitable
> for that use.
The fact that the spec puts a restriction is one aspect. I would be happyto know the rationale for it. But I think such restriction however couldbe removed. From an implementation point of view, we've done it in GPAC [1], it perfectly makes sense to consider SVG as an additional track to avideo/audio media. It can be used for subtitling (yet another format), animated graphics (think about dynamic and synchronized ads, ...), regionsof interests (See for example [2]).

> Just like you cannot put a SVG into a<audio>  or<video>
> element, you won't be able to put a SVG into a<track>  element.
That's a separate issue on which we could also argue.

Regards,

cyril

[1] http://gpac.sf.net
[2] http://biblio.telecom-paristech.fr/cgi-bin/download.cgi?id=10647