RE: Interactive Television

Hello Silvia,
I like the idea about a new kind or kinds, possibly "xml" and/or "json". Those could be catchalls for usage scenarios beyond the other kinds of subtitles, captions, descriptions, chapters and metadata. Another possible kind is outlines which resembles chapters.
Your example about DHTML overlays with hyperlinks sounds interesting; DHTML overlays are possible wherever text and graphics presently occur atop video from video post-production techniques and new enhanced features are possible with hypertext. Video post-production techniques can make use HTML5 video capabilities, DHTML and overlays and so doing might provide for entirely new features.
I think that more kinds alleviates a misunderstanding that under discussion was some sort of alternative to WebVTT. WebVTT seems apt for its set of kinds and could even be of use in convergence scenarios such as digital cable. New kinds for HTML5 video tracks, "xml" and/or "json", can allow for more Flash-like functionality with HTML5. By specifying an XML format with at least attributes for temporal intervals, any XML that makes use of that XMLNS could include time synchronization data that <track/> expects.
With regard to HTML5 video, it seems that new kinds are exciting to discuss.
Kind regards,
Adam Sobieski