From: public-web-and-tv-request@w3.org [mailto:public-web-and-tv-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Jean-Claude Dufourd
Sent: Friday, April 15, 2011 5:58 AM
To: public-web-and-tv@w3.org
Subject: Re: [HOME_NETWORK_TF] Implementation Alternatives

Here is my take on an interface, difficult to split in discovery and communication.
I adopt a structure closer to Dave's with callbacks. I introduce a method exposing a service to the outside, and a structured object for the message and its arguments.
I am not sure what syntax to use to declare attributes with a function as value (for callbacks).

interface HNControl {

        readonly attribute DOMString supportedProtocols[];

        // static list of supported protocols

        readonly attribute HNService discoveredServices[];

        // dynamic list of all discovered services in this session

        void activateServiceDiscovery(HNDiscoverer disc);

        // call this function with null to stop discovery

        HNService createService(protocol, name, type, description, HNMessage set[]);

        // this method creates a service provided by this "page"

        // the array of HNMessage defines the interface of the service

        // only the sendMessage and receiveMessage of the returned HNService are useful

}

interface HNDiscoverer {

        attribute function discoverService;

        // callback with one parameter of type HNService

}

interface HNService {

        readonly attribute DOMString name;

        readonly attribute DOMString type;

        readonly attribute DOMString address;

        readonly attribute DOMString description;

        integer sendMessage(HNMessage msg);

        attribute function receiveMessage;

        // callback with one parameter of type HNMessage

        attribute function serviceAvailability;

        // callback with one parameter of type Boolean

}

interface HNMessage {

        attribute DOMString name;

        attribute HNArg args[];