Re: [W3C Web and TV IG] Adaptive streaming MPEG DASH liaison

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 2, 2011, at 6:38 AM, "Alexander Adolf" <alexander.adolf@me.com> wrote:

> Dear Steve,
>
> On 02 Apr, 2011,at 02:18 PM, Steve Lhomme <slhomme@matroska.org> wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> Is there a patent pool planned for DASH ?
>
> I don't know. That should be part of the information that MPEG provides in response to our inquiry on DASH.

As I understand it's too soon to say. It's reasonable for companies to wait until the final stages of the process to declare IPR (when they know exactly what will be in the final spec), although in this case there are calls for early declarations.

MPEG does not establish patent pools. There are private companies which establish pools, such as Via Licensing and MPEG-LA, and one of these might choose to establish a pool for DASH, although as I have argued before it seems very unlikely to me that there is a business there.

...Mark