Re: DAP rechartering discussion

Dear Mark,
Dear Colleagues,

On 2011-03-16, at 23:45 , Mark Watson wrote:

>> [...]
>> In the context of accessibility, or even just alternative 3rd party
>> created remote controls; the ability to control the TV/STB needs to be
>> there from the moment it is switched on to the moment it is switched off
>> and in all states the box might be in (watching TV or VoD, in menus, etc)
>> If implemented as a web app, would that realistically be achievable? We
>> also included in our API the ability to bring the device out of standby
>> (if the box supports it of course).
>
> I could imagine the web environment being there right from the beginning on the TV or STB - the first thing it does out of the box being to start up some default app with the manufacturers UI.
>
> If I have some remote application it finds the TV using some low-level mechanism and, once securely associated, requests it to run some different app - one that pairs with my remote application in some way.
> [...]

I guess you might be thinking of sth. like this http://www.digi.com/products/wireless-wired-embedded-solutions/solutions-on-module/digi-connect/digiconnectme9210.jsp or this http://www.connectone.com/products.asp?did=73&pid=93

This little guy's web server and mDNS responder could provide the discoverability, and wake up the TV set (they have GPIOs) from standby when a connection request comes in. They have SPI interfaces, so some 12 to 16 Mbit/s should be possible. Of course you can share the RJ-45 pins between this and a full blown PHY/MAC to get the Gigabit or whatever you build in.

So in summary: yes, it is possible to have a web server and mDNS responder running (to make it discoverable) while the TV set is in standby. When the TV set is woken up by a connection request, the full app would start and do the authentication etc.

Just my two cents anyway.

Thanks a lot and cheers,

  --alexander