Work style Re: IG charter

On Thu, 23 Sep 2010 21:16:44 +0200, Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
wrote:

> On 09/24/2010 02:05 AM, FUNAHASHI Yosuke wrote:
>> On 2010/09/23, at 2:02, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
>>> On Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:01:13 -0400, FUNAHASHI Yosuke

> 3. IG Participation (public vs. member restricted)

>>> An interest group can be open to anyone - and indeed the charter
>>> proposal allows anyone to join the interest group. But any work to be
>>> done would happen in a working group (either new or existing).

(Working groups generally require people to be from a W3C member, although
exceptions can be made for experts whose employer is not reasonably able
to join W3C - where reasonable is decided by W3C, so Sony is likely to be
considered able, but the non-profit 6-member Madrid Association of
disabled TV Users** would be considered unable to join)

**I made this organisation up as an example. I don't know of such a thing,
although it might exist.

>>> There is a separate question about whether the work should take place
>>> in public, or in a member-only group. For the Interest Group I think
>>> it is much more effective for discussions to be in public. In any
>>> case, this is important to make technical work more efficient.
>
> Please remember there are several ways of participation, i.e., email
> discussion, telephone conference and f2f meeting.  So theoretically,
> there are several possible ways for public participation in an IG (or
> even an WG) including:
>
> Possibility1: The public can join the email discussion and also join
>    the f2f/telephone meetings.
>
> Possibility2: The public can join the email discussion but cannot
>    join the f2f or telephone meetings.
>
> We need to clarify which style we would use for this IG.

The charter as written assumes there will not normally be teleconferences,
and that face to face meetings can be held, but any decisiosn made are
subject to review by email, to ensure people unable to be present are not
excluded from the decision-making process. This is the model used in
groups such as the Web Applications Working Group and the HTML Working
Group, and I think it is a good model for a broad-based Interest Group
such as this one.

It does allow for meetings (e.g. the planned workshop in Europe) and for
teleconferences (e.g. if there is a topic we think can be usefully
explained in a teleconference) but recognises that they are difficult to
plan in such a way that all important stakeholders can be present.

I will adjust the text of the decision-making policy section to clarify
this.

cheers

Chaals