Re: IG charter: modification suggestion - Scope & Decision

On Tue, 05 Oct 2010 00:33:31 +0200, Daniel Park <soohongp@gmail.com> wrote:

> I see. It seems not easy to define “TV-like devices”. Tele-Vision,
> IP-Vision, etc...ITU-T spent much time for defining IPTV before (almost 6
> month or a bit longer). I'm a bit afraid of this point. Personally, I
> prefer not to include this ambiguoug word as “TV-like devices” into the
> charter.

I understand the fear of spending a long time defining words...

But I think the important point is that rather than having a strict
definition of language, we want to work on useful technology, that is
"related to TV", which is why the charter is a bit vague and open to
interpretation. After all, some people watch broadcast TV on mobile
phones, while I only use the TV in my house as a way to access internet
services (although it also gets used to watch TV), and other friends of
mine only watch TV through their computers.

If someone comes up with what they think is a great idea for TV, and
nobody else in the interest group is interested, it will be pretty clear
that for now that idea won't be widely considered part of TV. If somebody
comes up with a great idea that the group clearly thinks is important to
TV, then it is likely to get uptake in the TV industry (whether from
broadcasters, OEMs, content producers, or something else) and therefore it
will be part of TV.

Which is a much easier way of deciding than trying to carefully write a
written description of exactly what is or isn't a TV.

cheers

Chaals