Re: IG charter: modification suggestion

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 13:37:17 +0200, Kazuyuki Ashimura <ashimura@w3.org>
wrote:

> Hi Yosuke,
>
> Sorry for the delay.  I've been preparing for another workshop
> on W3C EmotionML and not very active during the weekend (I'm in
> Paris, btw.)
>
> It's just that the process document says we SHOULD clarify the
> procedure, but in practice it's OK for us to make decision later
> :)

In practice we only need a process if there is some formal requirement -
for example that we would only accept votes in decision-making from people
who have attended 80% of task force teleconferences, or something similar.
Our charter, and the decision-making process which effectively collects
information along with actual decisions is designed so we don't need that,
and task forces can concentrate on doing actual work instead of
administration.

The charter is for a "modern" W3C group - it follows processes used and
tested in various working groups, especially the Web Apps working group
which manages to work effectively on a large number of different
technologies at the same time, and has also spun off other successful
working groups such as geolocation. My experience in other standards
bodies is limited (and was often not very positive) but I have been
involved in a lot of W3C groups over the last dozen years, so I should be
able to help Kaz provide guidance as to what can or can't be done in W3C -
at least in terms of what precedents there are and what the documented
process actually requires...

cheers

Chaals