Re: IG charter: status and schedule

On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 12:12:32 +0200, Charles McCathieNevile
<chaals@opera.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 04 Oct 2010 07:09:23 +0200, 이현재 <hj08.lee@lge.com> wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> I would like to add HTTP adaptive streaming standardization in
>> particular that is core to VOD service on open internet.
>
> Note that HTTP is generally developed by IETF not W3C.
>
>> As W3C had video tag in HTML-5, video application friendly TV makers
>> are very excited to see what's next standardized at W3C.
>> XML Schema standardization for HTTP adaptive streaming is good
>> candidate for this.
>
> Perhaps, but I am not sure that it is the best approach...
>
>> For example, inside video tag adaptive streaming manifest src attribute
>> can be added like below. Browser may select conventional streaming or
>> adaptive streaming with the attribute information. We need to
>> standardize the contents of movie.manifest. This is very preliminary
>> design discussed so far among small group.
>
> Clearly I think this discussion is in scope of the Interest Group, at
> least as far as identifying the use cases and requirements. Equally
> clearly, deciding on a given solution is beyond the scope of the
> Interest Group.
>
> Anyway, I agree that this is likely to be important but don't expect to
> add it explicitly to the charter. The discussion should take place as
> part of the Interest Group's work.

I agree. As for any other topic, we shouldn't spend time to go too much
into details of what the IG will discuss,
also because this will probably reflect only our (companies) opinion while
the IG is clearly trying to involve a much wider audience.
So I would also suggested (like chaals and yosuke) to start from the
outcome of the workshop and "develop" it during the IG lifecycle.

I understand (and agree) on the point that we should try to show clearly
our goals to stimulate interest,
but I would rather have this discussion inside the IG than now.

Maybe what we can do to keep the interest high is to try (once we start)
to give regular report of where the discussion are heading and what are
the major achievement up to that point,
so that even people/company not following too close the IG can check the
progress and maybe get more active.

What will drive the interest in our group will be what we achieve rather
than what we state we want to achieve.

cheers,
Giuseppe

> cheers