Re: IG charter: modification suggestion - Scope & Decision

Hi HJ,

> Anybody to kindly explain or add opinion on the further
> clarification questions on Charter?
> 1> Scope : regarding minimum clarification on relation between Web
> and TV, even though it's minimum, architectural discussion will take
> a lot of time to converge. As we may already have common sense of
> general concept on Web and TV platform/service/apps, just starting
> use case elaboration and prioritization would be better for rapid
> progress. With this in mind, I would suggest to change Scope like
> below

I am sorry to say that I do not agree with you.  The reason is as
follows.
Most of the broadcasters who participate in the workshop think
sufficient common sense about Web and TV among the participants is not
formed yet, and lack of it made the meaning of the use cases and the
functions vague.  Clarification about it is demand from the
broadcasters.  Broadcaster is a part of industry too.

> -.Identification of important requirements for the Web to function
> effectively with TV services on TV devices and TV-like devices;
> -.Identification of important requirements for TV to function
> effectively on various devices with services on the Web;
> -.Elaboration and prioritization of use case according to industry
> participants need;

I would like to clarify the difference or relation between your
suggestion (third line) and above two lines (first line and second
line) before add your line to the draft charter.

Could you tell me your understanding?

> 2> Decision : I think decision entity in this specific Web and TV
> topic should be single. Scattered decisions will raise painful time
> to get agreement. Industry would not pay attention to W3C, if Web
> and TV decision is drifting at multiple places.
> With that, I suggest, on the condition that IG continue until 2012,
> IG should decide what is recommended, what should be additionally
> developed here or other WG, what should be removed for unnecessary
> complexity, what outside technologies should be referenced.
>
> Consistent with its mission, this group is not a decision-making
> body, but rather provides a forum for discussion and advice on
> different topics relating to the Web and TV.
> This group will act as a supreme committee regarding Web and TV. It
> would decide what is recommended, what should be additionally
> developed here or other WG, what should be removed for unnecessary
> complexity, what outside technologies should be referenced.

First of all, I would like to point out that your "industry" does not
contain broadcasters.

Before expressing my opinion about this topic, I would like to hear
from Kaz about IGs typical role and position in W3C lately.

Regards,
Yosuke