Re: Proposed new language on conformance - to address WCAG WG concerns

Hi gang,

Wow, this is a really long glossary definition, and a challenge to
re-cast for non-web ICT.

First, I would keep the qualification at the end of the second
paragraph, so it would read:

    To qualify as an accessibility-supported use of a Web content
    technology (or feature of a technology), both 1 and 2 must be
    satisfied [for a technology] for a Web content technology (or feature):

Second, I'm not sure it is appropriate to retain the plural "user
agents" in the #1 requirement.  For closed technology or other
situations in which the technology that makes things accessible is the
technology subject to WCAG2ICT, do we need "other players" to "play" the
technology?  In fact, thinking a bit more broadly here, perhaps #1 needs
to be more significant recast for such situations. When the "technology"
is a document, then I think the direct substitution works -> "Web
content" becomes "document".  When the "technology" is a platform or OS,
then...  "The Operating System is supported natively in
widely-distributed user agents or other software that are also
accessibility supported" doesn't make sense, does it?

Or maybe the better approach is to introduce a new OR clause - a #5 that
covers the situation in which the technology that is "accessibility
supported" is one in which the "accessibility support" is completely
built in.

Other than that important case, I think the language substitutions in #1
thru #4 work pretty well.

Note #2 I think needs a more significant recast, particularly as it
references Conformance Requirements #4 and #5.  I also think Note #3 may
not apply so well outside of the Web.  Note #4 still explicitly refers
to Web, and so needs more edits.  Finally, Note #5 likewise seems too
tied to Web to appear so little changed here.

In *Understanding Accessibility Support*, I think we need to add an "or
software" to the first AT reference, in the second sentence.  To make
clear the disability focus, I would then also add "with a disability" to
the end of that sentence.  To wit:

    Many of the Success Criteria deal with providing accessibility
    through assistive technologies or special accessibility features in
    mainstream user agents *[or other software]* (for example, a 'show
    captions' option in a media player). That is, the Success Criteria
    require that something be done in the Web  content *[or
    software]* that would make it possible for assistive technologies to
    *[or software] *successfully present the content's information to
    the user *[with a disability]*. For example, a picture that you were
    supposed to click on to go to a topic would not be accessible to a
    person who was blind unless text alternatives for the picture were
    provided in a way that user agents including assistive technologies
    can find and display them. The key here is that the text alternative
    must be included in a way that user agents *[or other
    software]*including assistive technologies can understand and use –
    in a way that is "Accessibility Supported."

This helps cover a situation that Janina & Jason brought up when
discussing command line / text application accessibility: their use of
mainstream command-line apps as part of the tools they use alongside
their AT to make apps accessible.

In *Level of Assistive Technology Support Needed for "Accessibility
Support"*, I think again a more thorough re-write may be needed.
Because the W3C is more broadly staying away from making pronouncements
in the non-Web space, the second sentence may be too weak.  It may be
better in fact for WCAG2ICT to simply leave this language alone, and add
a note to our glossary definition that we are doing so, and that the
existing "Level of AT..." language is Web centric and goes into topics
outside of our purview.

On a separate note, I wonder if we shouldn't talk with WCAG WG about the
language in Level of Assistive Technology Support Needed for
"Accessibility Support"
<http://www.w3.org/TR/UNDERSTANDING-WCAG20/conformance.html#uc-support-level-head>,
as thing have changed in the last years, and some of the statements made
there are out of date (e.g. if it only works with VoiceOver on a Mac or
iOS - a single screen reader on that platform - is that still "usually
not sufficient" for that platform?  Is it still the case that "free or
low cost AT is often so poor today"?)

Regards,

Peter

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>