Re: Two variants for the redefinition of "accessibility services of software"

Mike, Gregg,

I have some trouble by the "services ... used by ... non-Web documents",
as that confers a level of agency that I don't see present in
/non-software /documents.

A DAISY book doesn't use the accessibility services in the DAISY
reader.  The DAISY reader extracts & displays the captions from the
DAISY file.  There is no code in a DAISY file.  The captions are encoded
in DAISY; they are extracted by the user agent (the DAISY player).  An
HTML5 player, complete with Javascript & perhaps other code, is software.

Gregg - you write below: /A user agent is already "platform software"
so we can't say     "other platform software or user agents" /

Where do we say this?

We define user agent <http://www.w3.org/TR/wcag2ict/#keyterms_ua> as
"any software that retrieves and presents documents for users".  So a
user agent is software.  But not all software is a platform.

Some user agents are platforms, but not all.  Notepad is a user agent
(by our definition).  How is it a platform?

Peter

Oracle <http://www.oracle.com>
Peter Korn | Accessibility Principal
Phone: +1 650 5069522 <tel:+1%20650%205069522>
500 Oracle Parkway | Redwood City, CA 94064