How much room do we have in "describing how to apply" [was Re: examples of sets of documents]

David,

Perhaps I wasn't sufficiently clear.  The constraint is in the
limitations we are placing on ourselves in "describing how to apply".
Based I believe primarily on statements from Gregg (who is arguably our
best authority here, given that he is a WCAG WG co-chair), we are not to
do more than single word or phrase replacements in our "describing how
to apply" work.  That constraint isn't found in such wording in our
charter.

And I am simply - again - pointing out that we may not manage to find a
way to reach consensus on "describing how to apply" some of the
remaining few SCs WITHOUT doing more than single word or phrase
replacements (plus NOTEs, etc. as we have already been doing).  And
therefore, I am suggesting that we have a discussion with WCAG WG at
some point about that topic.  As well as a discussion, at some point,
about the idea of saying for a few SCs "we don't believe these apply"
(in certain situations, etc.).

And... given how long we've been working on these and not reaching
consensus, I think that time may be soon.

Look, there needs to be a point in time where, if we haven't reached
consensus after trying really hard, we stop trying and do something
else.  That something else might be "state that we couldn't reach
consensus and put our pencils down and declare ourselves done".  OR it
might be that we go back to WCAG WG and talk about what other options we
might have besides simply stating that we couldn't reach consensus (e.g.
the exploring whether we need to retain the two constraints I outlined
in my previous e-mail).  I MUCH prefer exploring these constraints with
WCAG to simply saying "we couldn't reach consensus" and then stopping.
It might lead to something more satisfying, and of more use to consumers
of our output.

Peter