Meeting Minutes, May 22, 2012

From: Andi Snow-Weaver <andisnow@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2012 11:18:02 -0500
To: public-wcag2ict-tf@w3.org

Minutes from today are posted in text below and at:

WCAG2ICT Task Force

See also: IRC log

      Andi_Snow-Weaver, Michael_Cooper, Al_Hoffman, Pierce_Crowell,
      Mike_Pluke, Alex_Li, Mary_Jo_Mueller, David_MacDonald,
      Shadi_Abou-Zhara, Gregg_Vanderheiden, Judy_Brewer, Peter_Korn,
      Andi, greggvanderheiden
         1.	Check on meeting scribe, participation confirmations, sign-ups
         2.	If you missed the information session:
            http://www.w3.org/2012/05/18-wcag2ict-minutes.html -- Andi
         3.	Document drafts: status, location, access -- Gregg
         4.	Document content: orientation to sections & layers needing
            discussion -- Gregg
         5.	First assignments for working on document sections -- Andi
         6.	Any additional reference materials to contribute? -- Judy
         7.	Document milestones for coming months (revisit Friday) -- Andi,
         8.	Confirm next meeting time; action items; request next scribe;
      Summary of Action Items

<korn> / afternoon. I'll be on in a moment; having some phone

<MichaelC> scribeNick: greggvanderheiden

Check on meeting scribe, participation confirmations, sign-ups
If you missed the information session:
http://www.w3.org/2012/05/18-wcag2ict-minutes.html -- Andi

After last info meeting some were there who can't participate and some that
missed the meeting

half the group are now signed up -- but signup is still in progress

<trackbot> Sorry... I don't know anything about this channel

<trackbot> If you want to associate this channel with an existing Tracker,
please say 'trackbot, associate this channel with #channel' (where #channel
is the name of default channel for the group)

<Andi> participant list:

By Thursday should have better list of members

Contact Judy regarding who is signed up and signing up

if you have questions

Document drafts: status, location, access -- Gregg

We will be mailing a link to the minutes to the mail list after each

and each minutes links to the others

<Andi> scribe: Andi

<greggvanderheiden> https://sites.google.com/site/wcag2ict/

GV: basically "Understanding WCAG Applied to ICT"
... for performance - each SC on a separate page but can also be collected
as a single document
... cross cutting issues - in introduction, more detail after the sections
on each SC
... one suggestion is to focus on Level A/AA first and come back to Level
AAA to meet the needs of regulatory initiatives
... Definitions from glossary:
... pages not provided for terms that seem to apply to non-web ICT as is -
can be re-opened by request to Andi from any TF member

GV: looking at a page for a particular guideline (1.3.1 for example)
... important to include WCAG 2.0 intent verbatim
... nothing goes above the big blue block labeled "</ END OF TASK FORCE
CONSENSUS CONTENT FOR APPLICATION NOTE >." until TF has reached consensus
on it. Only editors edit this space
... below the big blue block is space for contributions and discussion
... if somebody makes a comment and you want to edit their comment, make a
copy of it and edit the copy
... never edit the SC text or intent text from WCAG
... we can "suggest" changes to the intent text back to the WCAG working
group if we find that something needs to be clarified

MP: some of work M376 team has done on definitions might be helpful

GV: proposes putting this information in the cross-cutting section on
interpretation of web terms

PK: think this kind of thing belongs in the introduction

GV: cross-cutting issues will get sorted where they need to go including
the introduction - think that the cross-cutting section is the best place
to collect the contributions, discuss, and reach consensus

PK: need to have these in the back of our minds as we discuss each SC

GV: suggest removing "key terms" section from introduction for now so that
all of it is in the cross-cutting section while we are doing our discussion

PK: suggest that we collect what we believe will be the key terms and link
to appropriate section in the Cross-cutting issues section

resolution: remove discussion of key terms from introduction, leave only a
list of what the key terms are, with links to the cross-cutting issues
section for the discussion

PC: with regard to Understanding WCAG 2.0 intent, if we are to make
changes, how do we reflect that in the working document?

GV: recommend we put our suggested changes in square brackets. If approved
by the WCAG WG, we can update

PK: agree that this is a good working structure but may not be our final
... Oracle comments have been reviewed with industry but should not be
taken as industry position

<korn> q

GV: supposed to have a draft in a month - need to settle on the structure
... suggest parallel the Understanding document since this is another
understanding document

<janina> Regrets that I must leave for another call now.

AS: don't think we can resolve today. Let's begin discussing with this
structure and try to settle on final structure soon as we work our way
through the draft.

<scribe> scribe: greggvanderheiden

Document content: orientation to sections & layers needing discussion --

DIscussion handled in item above

Peter k: To quickly review and discuss the definitions of key terms first
to be familiar with the issues, but not try to resolve them. Then to do the
SC by SC review and come back to the terms.

<korn> Peter K: To quickly review the various ideas/descriptions of key
terms first - to have them in the back of our minds (and NOT try to resolve
them). Then to do the SC by SC review...

Judy: Suggest that anyone joining later read both the minutes from the
Intro meeting and the Minutes from this meeting (both to be posted to the
TF home page as special posting), and that people also read all of the
documents that Gregg introduced in today's call, before Friday's meeting.
... Suggest that Andi and Mike and the editors start identifying areas of
the document to be mapped out so that teams can tackle different sections
to create suggestions for handling them that people can comment on.

<Zakim> Judy, you wanted to suggest some more general homework assignments
for all TF participants between now and Friday

Alex: alternative approach is to do the SC by SC approach starting right
away to get going and familiarize people with the process.

Mike: From looking at this we found that some work was needed for some SC
but other SC need no additional comments to apply them. The facilitators
may want to group them in this way.

Judy: Suggested the grouping to find things so that people can identify
where they can contribute.
... agree with Alex about getting started

<Zakim> shadi, you wanted to ask about exporting from Google Docs to HTML

Shadi: Wondering how to export the things from gougle to html

ANDI: for Friday discuss key terms. Facilitators to identify how to attack
the work. EVERYONE read the docs

Judy: Plus everyone should read the TF home page and starter docs

First assignments for working on document sections -- Andi

<scribe> done with this item -- covered above

Any additional reference materials to contribute? -- Judy

No additional items identified at this time

<David> test

<Judy> http://www.w3.org/2012/04/WCAG2ICT-WorkStatement.html#timeline

Document milestones for coming months (revisit Friday) -- Andi, Mike

Judy: Need to have a visible draft of the document in June, and a
circulatable draft in July
... work needed on specifics for milestones
... need to talk with Facilitators to work this out

Mike: Need a pretty good draft by end of July for European work

Andi: The draft doc and pre-work will help us have something by then

Shadi: Draft needs to be ready and approved by WCAG WG by mid july if it is
to be published by end july

Judy: Need a stable draft to circulate by early July in order to do these

Confirm next meeting time; action items; request next scribe;

Judy: Tues time looks like it won't work for more people than we thought
... May have to move the Tuesday time
... which may be hard

<mapluke> can

<shadi> can

<David> can

<pierce_> cannot this friday, but otherwise Friday OK

<Judy> question: who is available for Friday US 10am ET

<Judy> judy can

<Andi> can

Judy: called for show of hands who can make it on Friday time (all on the
phone said that they could make it usually)
... will collate replies for Tuesday time in general, and report to Andi
and Mike, suggesting a Doodle poll if necessary

Andi: will revisit the scribe issue on Friday