RE: Interaction Context + UI + Content

Thanks Mike... I was hoping we'd have a sort of a kick off email to our
formal discussions and I think this is a good start...

I agree with most of this:

.         There are compelling reasons to choose one term (perhaps
"interaction context", or a more friendly term that means the same thing).

.         I agree with Mike's Point 4, using a more generic term (Software
UI etc.) would make things MUCH easier to understand for those SC that don't
require a "context". I think there are only 3 SCs that actually need a
"context" (2.4.5, etc) but Mike has a good point about conformance being
based on a web page. The thing a web page has that an Interaction Context
doesn't is a URI. That's the bright line on the web (which is not so bright
in WEB 2.0). It's more fuzzy line software, not impossibly so, but hard
enough to warrant walking through the idea of a more generic term for most
SCs, to see if could work.

I think we'll need about an hour to reason through and make a well thought
out decision as to whether we want to go with

1.       one term global replacement

2.       Simple generic term for 33 SC and only use IC when necessary for
the 3 that need it.

3.       Try to word smith the IC concept out of it completely (which would
be hard, if not impossible, but worth trying)

>> There is fundamentally no clear boundary to what is meant by software.

We could define it, either by adding a couple of words, or by a glossary, to
explain that it is only the part of the software that is presented to the
user. I'm not convinced this os a good reason to abandon a more generic term
for the majority of the SCs that don't need context.

So I think we should put as a top priority: Coming to a decision about 1,2,3
above

>From an understanding perspective I think the trade-off of an easy term for
33 of the 36 SC is worth a note on the conformance section... if we could
successfully do it.

Cheers

David MacDonald

CanAdapt Solutions Inc.