RE: SCOPE element

David, thanks so much for this rewrite (and the backstage work hat went
into it).

A couple of notes:

1. scope is an attribute, not an element. It is defined for both <th>
attribute can have a value.  of "wor" or "col" (e.g., schoe="row" or
scope="col").
2. <rowgroup> and <colgroup> are elements; they're not the same as the
*attributes* rowspan and colspan (which have integer values, e.g.,
rowspan=3")
3. JAWS 7.10 introduced support for <rowgroup> and <colgroup> elements
(it's much better in JAWS 8.0)
4. JAWS 8.0 supports the scope attribute in complex tables, including
its use with <rowgroup> and <colgroup>; at least one bug has been
identified, but a patch has been released since then and I don't know
whether the bug has been repaired or not.

I hope this helps.

John
"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director