Re: proposed responses

"David MacDonald" <befree@magma.ca> wrote on 09/19/2006 05:54:18 PM:

> I have responded to comment LC-1078

http://w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/issue-tracking/viewdata_individual.php?id=1078

I don't think we need a technique describing how to style TH elements
since that is just basic CSS functionality and does not solve a particular
accessibility feature.   This issue falls into the basic category of "AT
push" and whether we move this to advisory or not depends upon the outcome
of the AT push discussion.

> Other techniques that I've done that are ready for this week are:
> LC 709

http://w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/issue-tracking/viewdata_individual.php?id=709
proposal is fine with me, I would use "Working Group" rather than
"committee"

> LC 979

http://w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/issue-tracking/viewdata_individual.php?id=979
I think Al is trying to say that we need to be more specific.  He wants to
see clear identification of the error at level 1 and more information to
help correct it at level 2.  In the login example, the error should be
specific as to whether the problem is a bad username or a bad password.
This could be identified with the proper return of error codes.  His
example is that people following the SC as written could provide text that
says, "bad password" for all login errors rather than just the specific
error of bad password.  And, if the error code was more specific, an AT
could interpret and provide the correct error (either bad password or bad
username).  I agree that we should include the response of 626 do address
his concern about text vs. metadata. The better way to address his concern
might be in the how to meet section by explaining the error should be
specific as possible.  We might also want to include and example that
allows the AT to present the user with the information.

Example:  A login form has fields for user name and password.  A form
submitted with a bad username will be reloaded. The form will contain an
textual error message a the top which states, "invalid login".  The
username field has been updated with metadata indicating that the value
was invalid. When the user sets focus to the username field, the user
agent and/or AT will interpret the metadata and indicate to the user that
the current value is invalid. Thus, the user is aware from the text
message in the form that the login was invalid and the user agent and/or
AT can interpret additional information about the specific error (invalid
username) and present it to the user.

> LC 727

http://w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/issue-tracking/viewdata_individual.php?id=727

response is fine with me.
> LC 730

http://w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/issue-tracking/viewdata_individual.php?id=730

Hmm, is he asking that the W3C address adding a mechanism to HTML to
provide for context sensitive help or that WCAG provide and HTML technique
for this?  Since the comment was addressed to WCAG I would assume the
latter but we should clarify that we are adding and HTML technique.  I'm
just curious - what do we think this technique is?  Providing an
additional link to more information?  Does the link open a floating popup
or alert, go to a new page??? There might be a DHTML technique here as
well - using the describedby property or alert role.

> LC-979

http://w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/issue-tracking/viewdata_individual.php?id=979
listed twice -see above

> LC-1471

http://w3.org/WAI/GL/WCAG20/issue-tracking/viewdata_individual.php?id=1471

response is fine with me

> access empowers people...
>         ...barriers disable them...
>
> www.eramp.com

previous  history removed by Becky Gibson