From: public-wcag-teamc-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-wcag-teamc-request@w3.org]On Behalf Of Christophe Strobbe
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 8:19 AM
To: public-wcag-teamc@w3.org
Subject: Re: LC 654: failure due to omitting form labels

At 13:53 28/06/2006, Becky Gibson wrote:
>The technique looks good.  The only concern I have is that this failure
>conflicts with sufficient technique H65 which allows the use of title to
>label form elements.  Do we need to include the use of the title attribute
>in the test?

Hmm, I didn't take a close look at H65.
What if I modified the description and the test procedure to say the
following:

"The objective of this technique is to describe a failure that occurs when
no label elements are used to explicitly associate a form control with a
label<ins> where the visual design allows the use of labels</ins>."

"For all input elements of type text, file or password, for all textareas
and for all select elements in the Web unit:

<ins>1. check that the visual design allows the use of labels;</ins>
2. if step 1 is true, check that there is a label element with at least
one printable character before the input element;
3. if step 1 is true, check that the for attribute of the label element
matches the id of the input element.

Expected Result:
If step 2 or 3 is false, then this failure condition applies and the
content fails the success criterion.

>Also, in the test, I don't think we should  require that the
>label is before the input field.

Does that mean that technique H44 shouldn't require that either?

Regards,

Christophe

--
Christophe Strobbe