Re: proposed update to "critical parts" of Guide Doc for G2.5L2SC2 - User definition

From: <Sofia.Celic@nils.org.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 11:05:52 +1000
To: public-wcag-teamc@w3.org

Hi,

I sent a response to Tim's suggestion for the definition of "user", but
accidentally responded directly to Tim instead of the list. Here is a
summary plus my response.... sorry!

I suggested that the definition of "user" should come from the WAI. From a
quick search and putting together bits of content from 'The Essential
Components of Web Accessibility' page [1] suggests that users are "people
with disabilities using the web".
I know this is a lot more restrictive than the potential applicability of
WCAG, but the document has a specific purpose first and foremost. After the
primary definition, perhaps a secondary definition could be included to
inform readers of the potential larger scope of users.

Tim responded with:

Thanks - looks good.  My only comment is the inclusion of the word "using"
in
the definition for "users" (circular definition?).   What does "using the
web"
imply?  What does "using the web" mean?   Perhaps "employing" or "putting
good purpose" instead of "using"?
What do you think?

My response is:

Yes, good point. How about using part of the WAI's definition of web
accessibility [2] which is:
"Web accessibility means that people with disabilities can use the Web.
More specifically, Web accessibility means that people with disabilities
can perceive, understand, navigate, and interact with the Web, and that
they can contribute to the Web."

So I'm wondering whether something along the lines of the following may
suffice:

User: Person with a disability or disabilities perceiving, understanding,
navigating and interacting with the web.

I'm not sure if this sounds too much like the user can already do these
things when the guidelines are there to promote their ability to do them.

Thoughts?

Sofia

[1] http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/components.php

[2] http://www.w3.org/WAI/intro/accessibility.php