Re: Action items from 1/23/07 meeting

Makoto,

You can see the problem using the sample file that Sean Hayes sent
earlier. I have attached it again, with a bug fixed that was causing
problems in Firefox. It should show three columns of text.

In Firefox, there is no limit on how large we can scale the text. If
you open the attached file in Firefox, you can increase the font size
with Ctrl-Shift-+. On my system, the sixth time that I  increase the
font size, the words "objective" and "technique" can no longer fit
within the column. The words are either clipped, or they overlap with
the text in the next column. (I see different behavior on Windows and
Unix!) But it is no longer possible to increase the size without
losing the visual display of some of the information.

Since we can always increase the font size in Firefox, eventually the
characters will become larger than the browser window, no matter what
size browser window we are using. It is impossible to satisfy SC 1.4.6
(no horizontal scrolling) in this case.

The only solution that is always safe is "uniform scaling of content",
that is, a Zoom function like the one provided in Adobe Reader. While
this is safe, not all HTML browsers provide such a function. And for
smaller amounts of scaling, it is often better for the user to use a
liquid layout so scrolling is  not needed.

Please let me know if this is still confusing to you. We need to
include a clear explanation in the How To Meet documents.

Thanks, Loretta