Re: RE: SC 2.4.6 wording

From: Gez Lemon <gez.lemon@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 10:17:44 +0000
To: "Loretta Guarino Reid" <lorettaguarino@google.com>
Cc: "Sean Hayes" <Sean.Hayes@microsoft.com>, "Slatin, John M" <john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu>, TeamB <public-wcag-teamb@w3.org>

Hi Loretta,

> Given that CSS may render blocks on the page in a different order from
> the content order, I agree that we don't want to require that the tab
> order be the content order.

CSS would need to be in the baseline, but I still think that should be
a failure; if someone uses their own style sheet, the natural tab
order will be out of sequence if CSS has been used by the developers
to rearrange content. I don't understand the issues with with
technologies, such as PDF, so don't have suggestions for the wording.

> although I'm not sure there is a reliable way to distinguish
> two independent columns from two columns, one of which is the
> continuation of the first, without actually understanding the content.

Is there a situation where a column is a continuation of another
column that is understandable when the continued column isn't
processed in its entirety? At best, I can only see that situation
arising with a new column on a new row, in which case it wouldn't be a
continuation, but I suspect I'm spectacularly missing the point.

Best regards,

Gez

--
Supplement your vitamins