From: Slatin, John M [mailto:john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu]
Sent: 20 February 2007 21:44
To: Loretta Guarino Reid; Sean Hayes
Cc: TeamB
Subject: RE: Meeting on Feb 20

I hadn't heard anyone say that there is *nothing* in WCAG 2.0 that supports users with cognitive, language, or learning disabilities. Some peple have asserted strongly that WCAG 2.0 doesn't do *enough* in this regard. In some cases this means that there appear to be no success criteria that address a particular functional limitation: for example, there is no requirement to mark all instances of metaphoric language, irony, sarcasm, , or other cases in which what is said is not literally what is meant. Similarly, there is no requirement to mark content as either "primary" or "secondary"-- though if that relationship is conveyed through presentation (e.g., with "primary" content in a larger font or presented over a different background) then it's covered by 1.3.1. (This could be done by including, e.g., <h2> for primary content and <h3> for secondary content, in addition to changing font size, background color, etc.).

But there are SC that support users with a variety of functional limitations , including limitations of
- memory
- problem-solving ability
- attention
- reading, linguistic, and verbal comprehension
- visual comprehension

This is 5 out of the 6 types of limitation cited in WebAIM's very helpful article, "Cognitive Disabilities," at http://www.webaim.org/articles/cognitive/. The missing item has to do with "math comprehension"; this could be partly addressed by adding MathML techniques for SC 1.3.1 (these would be advisory) , and we could consider adding something about quantitative literacy to the Intent and Related resources sections of HTM 3.1.5.  . ("Quantitative literacy" is measured in the National Adult Literacy and Life-Skills survey (2003)-- which, despite its name, is actually international in scope.)

Additional comments following the list of SC provided by Loretta, below.

John

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.
Director, Accessibility Institute