From: Jim Thatcher [mailto:jim@jimthatcher.com]
Sent: Monday, May 22, 2006 10:33 AM
To: 'Gregg Vanderheiden'; Loretta Guarino Reid
Subject: RE: Link Text SC's

Hi Loretta and Gregg,

I had a talk with John about this yesterday. It is clear that what he
was looking for:

> The goal was to permit the user to explore the context without needing
to navigate away from the link.

... as you put it Loretta. I think that is an admirable and very
understandable user goal.

But I think it is impossible to build this requirement build into a
success criterion. Using a phrase like "Programmatically associated"
without defining it - doesn't solve the problem.

Screen Reader/2 for OS/2 had a key command that allowed the user to
"save the current state" do any other command, and return to the saved
state when that completed or was stopped. So the goal of allowing the
user to explore the context is AT specific, which you mentioned,
Loretta. The point is that there is nothing structural about that
exploration. Nothing related to the current link. You could "push the
state, and read "line" 123" and be back where you were. You could read
the whole page and be back at your link.

John mentioned http://slashdot.com <http://slashdot.com/>  as an
example. In this case the context is the text above, not a paragraph;
good context is the previous heading. But with current AT - I think -
you can't read the previous heading without loosing your place - or the
previous paragraph. There are several different situations on
Slashdot.com where generic links relate to a previous text which is not
a paragraph tag - just a div.

However, with Slashdot (as John pointed out in our conversation), when
you move to the Read more link from the JAWS links list JAWS announces
the heading which is the (or a) context for the link - that's cool.
Furthermore, even though JAWS isn't as sophisticated as Screen Reader/2
(!) you can accomplish the same thing with PlaceMarkers. When you are on
the link,  press CTRL+K to set a temporary place market, Press SHIFT+H
for previous heading, Press K to return to the PlaceMarker, and you are
back at the link.  So the context is read without loosing your place.

One of my favorite examples of this problem area is the Priceline.com
hotel listing:

The 7 generic links, Choose, More, Features, etc., all concern the hotel
at the top of the block. Priceline uses the title attributes to resolve
this but we all know how well that is supported - the issue here is not
about the title attributes - The issue is that there is no sensible
"Programmatic association" of the hotel title to the generic links. For
each generic link there is a (different) technique for accessing the
hotel name - using a PlaceMarker. For Choose, use next table cell (CTRL
ALT+RIGHT ARROW). For More, Features, ... Map, use current table
cell,(CTRL+ALT+UP ARROW), For the last link go up two cells. Combine
these with the CTRL+K and K combination, and one is able to explore
context with out loosing the link.

The reason I am saying all this is I believe that there is nothing
special about these examples. I think it is always going to be possible
to find a combination of keys that will provide context for a "generic
link." And I think there will be no general sequence that will work in
all or even many cases. (How about setting a place marker and moving
back (up arrow) in the document? It fails for the Choose link in the
Priceline example.)

In the same way as the Priceline and Slashdot examples, the first and
third Examples of Success Criterion 2.4.4 don't necessarily have any
programmatic connection to the link itself. The important information
could just be in a div - not the same paragraph, maybe not the same
table cell. But WCGA 2.0 calls these success!

I think that 2.4.4 should be eliminated because there is no definition
of what is wanted, and I think what is wanted will always be available
anyway.

Jim

Accessibility Consulting: http://jimthatcher.com/

512-306-0931