RE: Comments 465, 466, 545 - Wording of Success Criterion 4.2.1, 4.2.3

Hi Gez

  I agree with the discoverability part -- except if this became a widely
known convention.

As to the other techniques.   They all have a fatal flaw.  Remember the
discussion started with an assumption that we had a page that was totally
inaccessible and had a URI - so the person could arrive at that page from
say GOOGLE or a site search.

So - looking at the list from your email.

> * Address the accessibility issues.

I don't understand this one.  If you mean - make it accessible, it is not a
technique for addressing the SC that says "for inaccessible content...."

> * Ensure visitors see the accessible version first, with a
> link to the inaccessible version.

If there is a link to the inaccessible version - then it has a URI and is a
web unit itself.  So this SC has to be applied to it as well.  And then it
fails.  (unless the site isn't required to be accessible in which case you
can just omit the page from conformance claim to start with)

Also - I could have Googled into this inaccessible page - so I would have no
way of finding the accessible page.

> * Provide a link to the accessible version (for technologies
> that support accessible links).

The whole question was how to do this from totally inaccessible content. So
this technique wouldn't work for the case being discussed.

> * Style sheet switching (for technologies that support style
> sheet switching).

Changing the HTML ending is 1000% easier than style sheet switching I'm
afraid.

> * User preferences (temporary measure until content negotiation is
> possible) - provide an area for people to set their
> preferences on the website, and then deliver the content
> according to those preferences.

Doesn't meet the SC.   From the inaccessible page (if I got there from
GOOGLE) I have no way of finding the place on the website to turn on this
feature.

See the problem?