W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-wcag-teamb@w3.org > June 2006

RE: Comments 465, 466, 545 - Wording of Success Criterion 4.2.1, 4.2.3

From: Gregg Vanderheiden <gv@trace.wisc.edu>
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2006 12:01:06 -0500
To: "'Katie Haritos-Shea'" <kharitos-shea@cri-solutions.com>, "'Gez Lemon'" <gez.lemon@gmail.com>, <ryladog@earthlink.net>
Cc: <public-wcag-teamb@w3.org>
Message-ID: <003201c69ad4$74022640$8b17a8c0@NC6000BAK>
My suggestion was only a SUFFICIENT technique.   It would mean that if you
did this it would be sufficient.   

A sufficient technique doesn't not mean the only way.  Just one acceptable
way.  

 

I only mentioned this technique so that we had one way we could count on for
alternate forms that were completely inaccessible.   I was concerned that
there was not method without it.   But other methods could exist   -- like
content negotiation with accessible version as default that we discussed
before.   Or in the future - all browsers could support an "alternate
accessible" button or something. 

 

Does that help? 

 


Gregg

 -- ------------------------------ 
Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D. 
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center 
University of Wisconsin-Madison 
The Player for my DSS sound file is at http://tinyurl.com/dho6b
<http://tinyurl.com/cmfd9>  

 

 


  _____  


From: public-wcag-teamb-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-wcag-teamb-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Katie Haritos-Shea
Sent: Wednesday, June 28, 2006 10:38 AM
To: Gez Lemon; ryladog@earthlink.net
Cc: public-wcag-teamb@w3.org
Subject: RE: Comments 465, 466, 545 - Wording of Success Criterion 4.2.1,
4.2.3

Gez,

 

Not to worry for noe then. Thanks for giving it a look. Hopefully the full
group will get to this survey tomorrow and Gregg will clarify his point.
Team B will take note of this

 

* katie *
 
Katie Haritos-Shea
 
Section 508 Technical Policy Analyst
 
Communications Resource, Inc. (CRI)
CRI Email: kharitos-shea@cri-solutions.com
 
U.S. Department of Treasury - Financial Management Service
Information Resources - IT Policies & Standards Branch
Section 508 Support
 
Phone: 202-874-3203
FMS Email: mailto:Katie.Haritos-Shea@fms.treas.gov
Location: 10E24
 
 
CRI Headquarters
8280 Greensboro Drive, Suite 400
McLean, Virginia 22102
CRI Email: mailto:kharitos-shea@cri-solutions.com

 


  _____  


From: public-wcag-teamb-request@w3.org on behalf of Gez Lemon
Sent: Wed 6/28/2006 9:29 AM
To: ryladog@earthlink.net
Cc: public-wcag-teamb@w3.org
Subject: Re: Comments 465, 466, 545 - Wording of Success Criterion 4.2.1,
4.2.3

 

Hi Katie,

I'm sorry, but I'm having difficulty trying to understand this.

> Comments 465, 466, 545 were accepted (11 - 1 - 0), Gregg
> had a question that Ben answered. We would like to ask you if would not
mind
> confirming Ben's comment "I believe Gregg's question is covered by the
> situations described in How to meet 4.2.1.", and updating that in the
> Comments Database for those issues.

I don't understand Gregg's suggestion - doesn't it imply that only
HTML could be considered accessible? Would that not undermine the
whole technology neutral aspect of the guidelines? If it was a
reasonable assumption, I wouldn't have thought it was considered
discoverable (what would make people change an extension in the hope
that the next resource they received was accessible?). Whereabouts in
the "How to meet 4.2.1" section does Ben believe this is covered?
Situation A and B don't describe changing the end of the URL to .html.

I'm sure I'm missing the point somewhere, but I don't know what to
suggest, as I don't understand the suggestion or where the suggestion
has been addressed.

Best regards,

Gez


On 27/06/06, Katie Haritos-Shea <ryladog@earthlink.net> wrote:
> Gez,
>
> During the full WCAG 2.0 Meeting on June 22, we did not make it to the
Team
> B Survey because we ran out of time.
>
> At today's Team B meeting we decided to try to address some of the Results
> comments in advance of the July 29th full WCAG 2.0 Meeting. Though your
> great responses to Comments 465, 466, 545 were accepted (11 - 1 - 0),
Gregg
> had a question that Ben answered. We would like to ask you if would not
mind
> confirming Ben's comment "I believe Gregg's question is covered by the
> situations described in How to meet 4.2.1.", and updating that in the
> Comments Database for those issues.
>
> Team B Survey for June 22:
> (http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/35422/teamb062206/results).
>
>
> Thanks...........Katie
>
>
> Katie Haritos-Shea
>
> ryladog@earthlink.net
>
>
>


--
_____________________________
Supplement your vitamins
http://juicystudio.com <http://juicystudio.com/> 
Received on Wednesday, 28 June 2006 17:01:24 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:18:44 GMT