FW: Your comments re HTML technique about using th element

>From Gregg.

From: Gregg Vanderheiden [mailto:gv@trace.wisc.edu]
Sent: Sunday, February 19, 2006 9:09 pm
To: John M Slatin
Subject: RE: Your comments re HTML technique about using th element

University of Wisconsin-Madison
The Player for my DSS sound file is at http://tinyurl.com/dho6b

-----Original Message-----
From: John M Slatin [mailto:john_slatin@austin.utexas.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2006 4:50 PM
To: Gregg Vanderheiden

Gregg,

In your comments on the HTML technique "Using the th element to identify
column and row headers," you pointed out a mistake in a statement about
the definition of a simple data table. The incorrect statement said that
a table with two levels of headers could be considered a simple data
table.

Thanks for pointing out the error.

The following changes are relevant to your comment:
1. The technique on using the th element no longer exists as an
independent technique. It has been combined with the technique "Using
table markup to present tabular information" (new title for what used to
be "Using table, tr, and td to present tabular information"). This
technique does not include the incorrect statement.

The updated technique (with its new title) is available at
http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Using_table_markup_to_pr
esent_tabular_information

Please review and let me know if it addresses your concerns.

2. The HTML technique "Using id and headers attributes to associate data
cells and header cells" includes the correct information about when
additional markup is needed to allow AT to find the headers for a given
data cell. (It doesn't use the incorrect sentence that you pointed out;
I'm just including this for your information). This technique is
available at
http://trace.wisc.edu/wcag_wiki/index.php?title=Using_id_and_headers_att
ributes_to_associate_data_cells_with_header_cells_in_data_tables
Thanks!
John

"Good design is accessible design."
John Slatin, Ph.D.