Re: Combining GL 3.1 L3 SC2 and 3

Hello John,

At 10:58 AM 9/21/2005, John M Slatin wrote:
>In case we get tpo it today, I want to record my support for combining
>these two SC into one.  I also think the SC should list idioms, jargons,
>and abbreviations (i.e., deal with acronyms and initialisms as subtypes
>of abbreviation, as per previous discussion).

At the telecon we decided *not* to propose combining them for the following
reasons:

1. we were surprised by the amount of discussion about the definitions of
abbreviation and acronym. We were concerned that a proposal to change the
wording of a SC could trigger a similar thread and we don't want to delay
consensus due to minor changes to the SC
2. there was already discussion of combining these at the face-to-face in
Brussels and we decided to keep them separate. Based on last Thursday's
discussion of proposals for changes to SC from team a, we felt that it
probably best to avoid this type of discussion (that people feel they have
had already).
3. We will propose changing SC3 to only address abbreviations (since
acronyms are a subset of abbreviations) and this alone could cause an
interesting thread.
4. We felt there may be techniques that would be sufficient for
abbreviations but optional for words used in a restricted or unusual way
(or vice versa) and that would make the guide confusing.

Therefore, we didn't feel it was a high priority to make the proposal at
this time.

Thoughts?
--wendy