R: Techniques for Bidirectional text

-----Messaggio originale-----
Da: public-wcag-teamb-request@w3.org [mailto:public-wcag-teamb-request@w3.org] Per conto di Lisa Seeman
Inviato: mercoledì 14 settembre 2005 9.33
A: public-wcag-teamb@w3.org
Cc: rnisser@ofek-liyladenu.org.il; Rafi Cohen
Oggetto: Techniques for Bidirectional text

Sorry I am a bit late getting these in - My laptop cord needed to be
replaced ....

These are from Ofek Liyladenu and Reuven Nisser
 Techniques for text right to left reading order :

1. Instead of using right alignment setting, specify reading order. This will imply right alignment setting as well.

For example, instead of:
<P ALIGN=RIGHT>אבג</P>
use:
<P DIR=RTL>אבג</P>

2. It is a good practice to use reading order settings whenever you change language settings from one direction to another. Especially: A text starting or ending with unidentified reading order character must include explicit reading order setting.

For example, the following does not need to change:
<P LANG=EN>abc <SPAN LANG=HE>אבג</SPAN></P>

But:
<P LANG=EN>abc <SPAN LANG=HE>12-3 אבג</SPAN></P>
Needs to change to:
<P LANG=EN>abc <SPAN LANG=HE DIR=RTL>12-3 אבג</SPAN></P> Because it ends with "3" which has unknown reading order

3. When the order between objects should be from right to left add a direction setting for the parent object:

All the text (including scroll position):
<BODY DIR=RTL>
http://www.ofek-liyladenu.org.il/about.shtml

For tables:
<TABLE DIR=RTL>
http://www.ofek-liyladenu.org.il/about-e.shtml

Gather paragraphs together:
<DIV DIR=RTL>

Part of a paragraph:
<P DIR=RTL LANG=HE>טל: <SPAN DIR=LTR>02-1234567</SPAN></P>

See more recommendations in: http://www.ofek-liyladenu.org.il/links/accessibility.shtml

all the best
Lisa