RE: GL 3.1 L3 SC4 (Section titles)

Loretta writes:

<q>I am also working on the guide doc for GL 2.4 L2 SC3, "Delivery units
have descriptive titles". </q>

Thanks for putting these two SC next to each other, Loretta. My
suggestion was to change GL 3.1 L3 SC4 to read:

<proposed>
Titles and headings are descriptive.
</proposed>

I was thinking that this wording would apply to both delivery unit
titles and section headings.

But now I see a possible redundancy, since GL 2.4 L2 SC3 requires
descriptive titles for delivery units.

To resolve this, I propose:
1. Change GL 2.4 L2 SC3 using the wording proposed above:
<newProposalForGL2.4L2SC3>
Titles and headings are descriptive.
</newProposalForGL2.4L2SC3>

And 2:
<deleteGL3.1L3SC4>
Section titles are descriptive.
</deleteGL3.1L3SC4>

Rationale: Descriptive titles for delivery units and descriptive section
headings both aid orientation and navigation (as well as understanding).
So it's appropriate to put them under GL 2.4. I also think this is
important enough to warrant placement at L2.

If there is no support for combining titles for delivery units and
headings at L2, then I would suggest the following:

1. Retain GL 2.4 L2 SC3 (Delivery units have descriptive titles).
2. Modify GL 3.1 L3 SC4 as follows: Headings are descriptive.

I worry that the latter is too HTML-centric, but again it avoids forcing
us to define "section" in a way we couldn't live with.

John

"Good design is accessible design."

Dr. John M. Slatin, Director
Accessibility Institute