From: public-wcag-teama-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-wcag-teama-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Ben Caldwell
Sent: Tuesday, August 08, 2006 10:26 AM
To: public-wcag-teama@w3.org
Subject: Re: 08 August 2006 Agenda

Hi Bruce,

I'm not sure I would agree that the example you've provided is
accessible. Many screen readers will (by default) jump into forms mode
as soon as the first field of a form receives focus. When this happens
(and  I'm not suggesting that this is what _should_ happen), my
understanding is that the only items that will be read in this mode are
label elements and title attributes.

Basically, what you're describing is a scenario where AT is forced to
guess about which text goes with which form field and while this example
happens to linearize correctly. There are many examples, however that
don't linearize as well and though AT has evolved such that it's better
at guessing today than it was 5 years ago, I don't think we want to get
into making exceptions in WCAG 2.0 for these algorithms.

-Ben