From: public-wcag-teama-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-wcag-teama-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Gregg Vanderheiden
Sent: Wednesday, October 26, 2005 12:16 AM
To: 'Ben Caldwell'; 'Li, Alex'
Cc: public-wcag-teama@w3.org
Subject: RE: FW: combining 3.2 L3 SC1 and L2 SC3

Here are the two in question

3.2 L2 SC3.  Components that have the  same functionality in multiple
delivery units within a set of delivery units are labeled consistently.
(Guide to 3.2 L2 SC3)

3.2 L3 SC1. Non-text content that appears on multiple delivery units and has
the same function has consistent text alternatives. (Guide to 3.2 L3 SC1)

I think the question is "what are components?"

If they are only 'active' things then the two are different.   If any gif or
jpg is a component and all non-text content is considered a component then
L2SC3 covers L3SC1.   But if a gif or movie is NOT a component - then we
need both.   I think we could define component and delete L3SC1.

What do others think?   What is included in component?  What would the
definition be?   (where else do we use component?)

Gregg

Gregg C Vanderheiden Ph.D.
Professor - Ind. Engr. & BioMed Engr.
Director - Trace R & D Center