Re: FW: combining 3.2 L3 SC1 and L2 SC3

Gregg Vanderheiden wrote:
> Here are the two in question
>
> 3.2 L2 SC3.  Components that have the  same functionality in multiple
> delivery units within a set of delivery units are labeled consistently.
> (Guide to 3.2 L2 SC3)
>

> 3.2 L3 SC1. Non-text content that appears on multiple delivery units and has
> the same function has consistent text alternatives. (Guide to 3.2 L3 SC1)
>

> I think the question is "what are components?"
>
> If they are only 'active' things then the two are different.   If any gif or
> jpg is a component and all non-text content is considered a component then
> L2SC3 covers L3SC1.   But if a gif or movie is NOT a component - then we
> need both.   I think we could define component and delete L3SC1.
>

> What do others think?   What is included in component?  What would the
> definition be?   (where else do we use component?)

We use "component" in a number of places including the introduction,
guideline 4.2 and in the glossary. However, I don't think our use of the
word is unique (thus probably doesn't need a definition).

[snip]

Component (From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.)

In general, a thing's components are its parts; the things that compose
it. Components are those identifiable, differentiable and autonomous
elements that compose a system.

[end snip]

I think it's clear that non-text content that has function is a subset
of components that have function and suggest we skip the definition and
combine the two SC.