From: public-wcag-teama-request@w3.org
[mailto:public-wcag-teama-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Gez Lemon
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 6:15 AM
To: Christophe Strobbe
Cc: public-wcag-teama@w3.org
Subject: Re: Action Item Bug: 1568

Hi Christophe

On 05/10/05, Christophe Strobbe <christophe.strobbe@esat.kuleuven.be> wrote:
> I think it looks good. You could also write:
> "If a component is able to trigger/fire an event when it receives
> focus, this event should not be handled in a way that causes a change of
context."
> This is very precise, but maybe it only makes sense to developers.

I like that wording, but one of the issues I have with this success
criterion that I mentioned in the teleconference last night (albeit not very
coherently), is that the success criterion is worded such that it only
applies if the element that received focus causes the change of context:

"When any component receives focus, it does not cause a change of context"

The wording implies that the component that receives focus explicitly causes
the change in context, but the same effect can be achieved using a blur
event (as is done in the technology specific example [1]). In this case, a
change of context is caused when a component receives focus, but isn't
caused by the component that received focus.

I think the intent, techniques, benefits, and examples all make this clear,
but the guideline itself could easily be misinterpreted. For example, if I
decide to launch a popup when the current window loses focus rather than
when a new page gains focus, I can comply with all level 1 and level 2
success criteria for guideline 3.2.

[1] http://tinyurl.com/9vpnm

Best regards,

Gez