core functionality (was Re: [wbs] response to 'Approval for draft publication of WCAG-EM')

Hi Gregg,

Thank you for your helpful comments on the recent WCAG-EM Editor Draft.

We are currently processing the comments. You raised a concern about the
term "core functionality" that Eval TF seemed to agree with during the
previous call [1]. However, the proposed terms "dependent components" or
"dependent functionality" are too cryptic and we are concerned that they
would not be understood by most readers.

This has been a recurring issue for a while. We debated several terms
such as "common functionality", "critical functionality", "essential
functionality", until we ended with "core functionality".

We are wondering if you have further suggestions for terms that would
imply less subjectivity and are yet understandable (and translatable)?

Regards,
   Shadi