comments from Mark (was Re: [wbs] response to 'New RDWG Charter')

Hi Mark,

Thank you for the comments you provided on the draft RDWG Charter:

On 12.6.2013 12:09, WBS Mailer on behalf of mhakkinen@ets.org wrote:
> Changes to the Charter Text: I think a clear value of RDWG would be to
> identify research of immediate or near term value to active W3C standards
> activities. Granted RDWG is forward looking, I suggest there is a need to
> identify problematic areas existing in current activities (One that comes
> to immediate mind, No clear consensus on how to present long descriptions)
> and fast track science-based assessment of relevant research and practice,
> and if warranted, champion targeted usability/accessibility research to
> examine potential solutions.
>
> I would like to see the charter reflect this important role in a clear
> manner for RDWG.

I'm not sure I completely understand but you seem to make two points:

#1. Addressing current research directly related to W3C standards;
#2. Championing targeted research in accessibility (and usability);

Regarding the first point, I wonder if this would already fall under the
second point in the scope section:

[[
Identifying and detailing areas of research (existing or absent) that
may significantly impact accessibility of the Web
]]

Also combined with this wording on the topic selection:

[[
Topics will vary based on the available resources and expertise,
currency and potential impact of the topic
]]

This would allow RDWG to cover short, medium, and long-term aspects
depending on the current need without limiting ourselves upfront.

Not sure if there are specific sections or wordings that you have
comments on?

As to your second point, I think RDWG can/should try to initiate or
stimulate new research but may not be able to "champion" it as such.
This seems to be beyond the scope of what we could deliver unless I
don't understand your point very well.

Best,
   Shadi