From: Shadi Abou-Zahra [mailto:shadi@w3.org]
Sent: 15 November 2012 08:03
To: simon.harper@manchester.ac.uk
Cc: RDWG
Subject: Re: Next Topic Heads Up!

Hi Simon, all,

Great to see this queue of suggested upcoming topics!

Before we can make final decisions on these, there are a number of
things to consider:

- Each symposium still has lots of administrative overhead for me and it
is unmanageable to have this number of events in such close period
(February, April, June) without us putting effort on streamlining the
process first -- there is lots to debrief on and improve;

- We also need to continue the discussion on "criteria" for selecting
topics -- we need more assessment as to why we select any particular
topic, for example a brief analysis on the current need for it and on
the expected impact or contribution of a symposium;

- Each proposed symposium topic needs to have a clear description that
addresses the criteria above so that we can make informed decisions
within the group and so that we can bring more mature suggestions to the
WAI Coordination Group (CG) and relevant W3C Working Groups;

We should also not lose focus on the Research Reports that need to be
developed from these symposia. Currently we are having a 1-year cycle
for our first such report and we need to reduce this lag somehow.

We also need to continue working on the "catalog of research topics" and
to develop "Tips for Accessibility-Aware Research" as per our Charter
[1]. As you know, symposia is only one part of our Charter.

[1] <http://www.w3.org/WAI/RD/charter3#deliverables>

Regards,
   Shadi

On 14.11.2012 18:48, Simon Harper wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> as we discussed today at the meeting we have 3 groups of editors
> willing and able to get things moving on three new topics. Instead of
> waiting we decided to schedule these while we have the interest.
>
> So the plan is to run a symposium on 'User Modelling' headed up by
> Yehya and Christos mid February.
> Another on Accessible Diagrams/Smart Images headed up by Markku mid
April.

--
Shadi Abou-Zahra - http://www.w3.org/People/shadi/ Activity Lead,
W3C/WAI International Program Office Evaluation and Repair Tools Working