Fwd: Re: metrics note - comments

forwarded as requested, for archival purposes.

cheers

------- Forwarded message -------
From: "Shadi Abou-Zahra" <shadi@w3.org>
To: "Charles McCathieNevile" <chaals@opera.com>
Cc: "giorgio brajnik" <brajnik@uniud.it>, "Markel Vigo"
<markel.vigo@manchester.ac.uk>, "Joshue O Connor"
<joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>, "Simon Harper" <Simon.Harper@manchester.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: metrics note - comments
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 13:44:57 +0200

Hi Charles,

Thank you for filling the questionnaire and for your comments. I'm
CC'ing the editors but would you mind archiving your comments in
addition to that? You can copy and paste them into your questionnaire
response or send them to the group mailing list.

Thanks,
         Shadi

On 23.5.2012 12:08, Charles McCathieNevile wrote:
> These are all editorial (and I suspect mostly redundant, but hey...)
>
> 1.1 para 1
> s/A metrics/A metric/
>
> para 4 (counting real paras only)
> s/In analogy/Analagous/
>
> para 5
> s/metrics relies on their low cost/metrics is their low cost/
> s/entail/mean/
>
> para 6
> s/in addition to reliance on testing tools/due to their reliance on
> automated testing tools/
>
> 1.2 list, bullet 1
> s/precisely know/better understand/
>
> bullet 4 HUH?!?
>
> 2 (intro para)
> s/that adopting a given metric yields/inherent in the use of a given
> metric/
>
> 2.1 para 1
> s/accessibility is use/accessibility-in-use/
> (you may want to italicise this as a term of art introduced in this
> paper).
> s/and it can be/which can be/
>
> para 3
> s/simple to be applicable/easy to apply/ (or easy to determine?)
> The last sentence should drop one of "truly" or "actually"
>
> 2.2 para 2
> s/they are inconsistent,// (unreliable metrics are inconsistent by
> definition - you're explaining what problem that produces)
>
> para 3
> s/thereby both confidently/thereby confidently/
> s/byproduct/by-product/
>
> 2.4 last sentence
> s/then also large changes/large changes/
>
> 2.5 first sentence
> s/data that is used/data, and the algorithm that is used/
> s/ and the algorithm which it is based on//
>
> in parenthesis
> s/have therefore to be/must be/
>
> after parenthesis
> s/high bandwidth to crawl large websites, large storage capacity or
> increased computing power/high bandwidth, large storage capacity or
> increased computing power, e.g. to analyze large websites/
>
> 3.1 para 1
> s/panel of experts obtaining/panel of experts, obtaining/
> s/to obtain/but to obtain/
> s/adjustment though/adjustment/
>
> para 2
> s/relies on reliability/depends on the reliability/
> s/Raised during the webinar was the point/During the webinar it was
> noted/
>
> 3.2
> s/one critical issue so that the spreading of usage of metrics gains
> momentum and their adoption is fostered/critical for their broad
> adoption./
>
> last sentence
> s/appropriate/valuable/
> (probably don't capitalise Quality Assurance here)
>
> 3.3
> s/This can be useful, for instance, in those websites that massively
> rely on templates/This is useful for websites that are substantially
> built on templates/
> s/In this case, a vast majority of the pages follow a determined
> [...]

         je parle français -- hablo español -- jeg kan noen norsk