Re: Mobile Call

Hi Simon,

On 28.3.2012 11:43, Simon Harper wrote:
> Hi Shadi,
>
> maybe I can help out with point #2 - this is for 2 reasons - firstly
> because the hyperlink provides the full text for the copyright policy
> and secondly because in Shawn's work she says about that sentence - that
> the wording doesn't seem / can't be right. In reality anyone can quote
> text as long as it is referenced - this text says that the text can be
> included in a derived work as though it is the work of the derivee; I
> agree with Shawn 'this can't be right'.

This is not my area of expertise. This text was suggested by our W3C
legal adviser so we should probably look at it in more detail. Again,
what I understood is that the WG Note may include conclusions or draw
concepts from the contributions, which in turn could be considered as
derivative work. It is not about referencing the resources but really
interpreting or reusing the work in some form. If we do not have this
sentence then I think we will need to be really careful that none of the
statements we make can be interpreted to be derivative work.

> and for my 2 pennth - shall we discuss #1 at the meeting - Shadi, I know
> you aren't there today so could you be a little more specific as to what
> you would like to see so I can accurately represent this in the call?

For one, I disagree with the statement made in the first sentence as it
currently stands. It sounds too absolute. For instance, for me mobile
devices are not (yet?) the primary form of accessing the Web.

Also the second sentence probably needs to be looked at more closely to
avoid exacerbating frequent stereotypes and cliches. Are only business
people in Europe 24/7 on the go? Numerically there may be more business
people 24/7 on the go in India than in Europe.

Finally, the combination of these two (first) sentences of the Call do
not give me the picture of what the rest of the Call actually covers. In
fact, it seems to be going in a completely different directions. I
suggest revisiting the purpose of these two sentences and, if they are
deemed as essential, to consider them for the Background section. This
would entail revising both sections accordingly.

Best,
   Shadi