Antw: Re: [urgent] input from WAI Coordination Group on mobile accessibility pre-cal

From: Klaus Miesenberger <Klaus.Miesenberger@jku.at>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 19:21:44 +0100
To: "sharper@cs.man.ac.uk" <sharper@cs.man.ac.uk>, "giorgio brajnik" <brajnik@uniud.it>
Cc: "Vivienne CONWAY" <v.conway@ecu.edu.au>, "Peter Thiessen" <thiessenp@gmail.com>, "Simon Harper" <simon.harper@manchester.ac.uk>, "Yeliz Yesilada" <yyeliz@metu.edu.tr>,"RDWG" <public-wai-rd@w3.org>, "Shadi Abou-Zahra" <shadi@w3.org>
Hi all,
am back from a three day meeting making decisions on 370 contributions
to ICCHP. And this has often been the question in making difficult
IMO this very much depends on the situation. I support to outline that
we are calling for contributions which are closely related to PwD
(following WHO including aging) or which show according impact on
improving accessibility of this target group. Otherwise it gets to
If somebody contributes to aspects related to temporary and situational
problems, she/he will give according arguments - and we have to evaluate
them in terms of adequacy and impact on accessibility.

>>> <sharper@cs.man.ac.uk> 3/10/2012 11:06 >>>
OK so one of my contentions is that accessibility and disability
people who may share an intersection but are not the same set - and
we are interested in accessibility (not exclusively disability). In
case, low income, literacy, developing regions, situational
would all be included.

For instance if we have an abstract which is about mobile phone users
without a disability but who are situationally impaired by the device
maybe with some interesting insights into constrained usage - would we
reject it as not being on topic?

What about abstracts which discuss the problems of web usage in

I think accessibility is much bigger than disability alone and is not
confined to the WHO definition of disability? Further, the WHO
is written with quite open definitions but all in the implicit context
impairment - for instance there are plenty of 'activity limitations'
can occur which would not be considered to be a disability.

We can discuss all this in more detail on the telecon - I'm just
we are loosing yet more pre-call time.