Re: [urgent] input from WAI Coordination Group on mobile accessibility pre-cal

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 12:18:13 +0000
To: sharper@cs.man.ac.uk
CC: giorgio brajnik <brajnik@uniud.it>, Vivienne CONWAY <v.conway@ecu.edu.au>, Shadi Abou-Zahra <shadi@w3.org>, Yeliz Yesilada <yyeliz@metu.edu.tr>, Peter Thiessen <thiessenp@gmail.com>, Simon Harper <simon.harper@manchester.ac.uk>, RDWG <public-wai-rd@w3.org>
sharper@cs.man.ac.uk wrote:
[...]
> I think accessibility is much bigger than disability alone and is not
> confined to the WHO definition of disability? Further, the WHO definition
> is written with quite open definitions but all in the implicit context of
> impairment - for instance there are plenty of 'activity limitations' which
> can occur which would not be considered to be a disability.

Yes, it is also worth noting that a 'happy by product' of serving the
needs of PwD is that we reduce barriers for many, many other users who
don't have disabilities. _However_ the very act of explicitly designing
for extremes ensures that the product/service/website etc will work for
users of AT _and_ these other groups.

Hence the focus on PwD is important IMO.

Cheers

Josh