Re: Minutes for Teleconference on 15 September 2011

On 15 Sep 2011, at 20:23, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:

> Please find the minutes for the teleconference on 15 September 2011:
> - <http://www.w3.org/2011/09/15-rd-minutes.html>

Thanks for the minutes.

Regarding the concern "what would be the justification for rejection then?", yesterday, I wanted to comment that I think after the cfp is released it would be good to discuss what would be the criteria of judging submissions?

In the minutes it says "The review process will ensure that each paper will get at least three independent reviews, based on criteria including relevance, clarity, soundness and power of the arguments, generality of results/claims, novelty". Here for example, if people are allowed to submit work published somewhere else is judging novelty a good idea? I think it's fine to have these in the cfp, but we need to thoroughly think about the review process.

I think it would be good to dedicate one of our weekly meetings on this matter to basically create a review form.

This review form would make sure that all the scientific committee members judge the submissions with the same set of criteria. I also think it's important to give feedback people. When they submit and their submission is rejected, it would be good to explain them why it was rejected. I prefer to do this scientifically rather than saying that sorry we do not have enough time for this.

I don't think we will receive that many submissions, but if we do, I suggest instead of rejecting them based on the time constraints (it would be really shame to reject good work because the time is not enough), I suggest we select papers based on scientific merits and if the time not enough, then the accepted papers can be grouped and more than one webinars can be organised (based on themes). Sorry I could not speak up yesterday because by headset did not work, but I think we can dedicate a meeting on how to select submissions? what would be the review process?

Regards,
Yeliz.