Re: What happens when an evaluation statement already exists?

Hi Alistair,

On 21.5.2014 20:30, Alistair Garrison wrote:
> Hi Shadi,
>
> Historically, I have been directly involved in 3 different groups all looking to create a methodology for WCAG.
>
> With regard to WCAG 1.0 the open interpretation of checkpoints led to lots of different things being assess by lots of different groups - which fragmented what people said was accessible.
>
> WCAG 2.0 was designed to be more testable, intrinsically I believe through the use of sufficient techniques / failure conditions (is this what you think is fundamentally incorrect?).  If as you say we should be checking what we think we should each check under each success criteria, rather than being guided by the techniques (and associated checks) which developers implement - don't we run a risk of being back at square WCAG 1.0…

One of the main improvements in WCAG 2.0 is the formulation of Success
Criteria to be testable statements (among other important improvements
such as being more technology-agnostic, device independent, etc.). For
example, WCAG 1.0 required that "color combinations provide sufficient
contrast" without defining what "sufficient" is. WCAG 2.0 provides an
algorithm so that the success criteria can be either met or not met.

The techniques and failures are incredibly useful and also important
resources. Techniques document *some* of the known ways for meeting
success criteria and failures document *some* of the common situations
in which content does not meet success criteria. They are by design
non-exhaustive and non-exclusive. That is, there is no requirement to
use documented techniques. The requirement is to meet the criteria.

> Next, from a recent proposal for a directive of the European Parliament and of the Council on the accessibility of public sector bodies' websites - I note that states will be responsible for - "Designating a competent authority in each Member State as the enforcement body would be an adequate way to ensure that the conformity with web accessibility requirements is monitored and rigorously enforced"…

I note "competent authority" and "conformity with web accessibility
requirements". The techniques and failures are not requirements but
(non-normative) helpers. EN 301 549 does not include techniques.

> My worry is that by not including a clause as I proposed developers will ultimately be constrained into developing web content which ticks the accessibility boxes of the monitors (who will most definitely rely on the use a limited set of tests in a tool to evaluate [e.g. Automated WCAG Monitoring Community Group], as they will not have time to assess websites on a page by page basis).

If the monitors are not checking "conformity with web accessibility
requirements" then they are not addressing the proposed directive.

Also, I don't really see it happening that developers will publish
statements that associate techniques with every piece of content for
entire websites. It would also limit developers from using the latest
web technologies, such as HTML5, that have significant accessibility
improvements because they do not yet have documented techniques.

Best,
   Shadi