Re: WCAG-EM snapshot

Hi Shadi,

fair enough, I have not noticed this qualification. I would then still add something to the final sentence of 2.a, which currently reads:

"The outcome of this step is a list of all common web pages."

...because this still sounds like just a list of URLs. What we need is something like

"The outcome of this step is a list of all common web pages, where applicable together with additional page states to be included in the step 3 Sampling."

This may seem similar to step 2b "Identify an initial list of core functionality of the target website" but this is directed at the user task level. Sure enough, exploring functuinality will often bring up the states that should be recorded, but this is not explicitly mentioned here. We could also add something here that explains that additional states discovered in this step should be recorded with their base page so they will be covered during evaluation.

I don"t care about the exact wording but I think we need to guide evaluators so they realise they need to include dynamic content.

As to the defintion of terms, how about :

"Some web page states are treated similarly to individual web pages in the context of this methodology, others as ancillary to individual web pages."

Best,
Detlev

On 28 Nov 2013, at 09:16, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:

> Hi Detlev,
>
> The problem with adding this to the definition, is that web page states is related to more than the sampling section alone. Instead, the latest Editor Draft refers to web page states throughout all relevant sections.
>
> For example, in Step 3.d there is this note: "In most cases it is necessary to record and specify the actions needed to proceed from one web page and web page state to the next in a sequence to complete a process so that they can be replicated later [...]".
>
> I think this should address your comment?
>
> Best,
>  Shadi
>

> On 28.11.2013 08:41, Detlev Fischer wrote:
>> Hi Shadi and Eric,
>>
>> I am still missing a clear description of handling of page states during evaluation. The one change I can spot is that in the section "Terms and Definitions" which now has for Web Page States:
>>
>>   "(...) Some web page states are treated similarly to individual web pages in the context of this methodology."
>>
>> This leaves testers in doubt as to what to do with the rest, and the sampling step does not say anything about recording relevant page states. I would extend the definition in this way:
>>
>>   "(...)Some web page states are treated similarly to individual web pages in the context of this methodology, other web page states are recorded together with the sampled page to ensure they are included in testing."
>>
>> For step 3 I have already provided a text suggestion for including page states which you may change in whatever way - the main point I would like to have in here is that complex pages are not just listed with their URL but in addition with relevant states that should be included in testing. This qualification of base URLs is in any case necessary for sampled pages that do not have a fixed URL but are generated via by some action like search, forms submission, etc.
>>
>> The same thing (including page states) may be included as already as the intro to step 2, the exploratory stage. With so many sites holding a lot of dynamic content, this cannot be overstated.
>>
>> Best, Detlev
>>

>> On 26 Nov 2013, at 07:37, Shadi Abou-Zahra wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Eval TF,
>>>
>>> Eric and I are still working on the final Editor Draft for publication approval, you can see the latest snapshot here:
>>> - http://www.w3.org/WAI/ER/methodology/
>>>
>>> Sections Steb 4.c and beyond are being actively worked on; the others should be more stable though some edits might still be needed.
>>>
>>> Please let us know if there are immediate issues that you would prefer to discuss before the document goes for publication approval with the other working groups (you will still have the chance to comment then).
>>>
>>> Best,
>>>  Shadi
>>>
>>> --
>>> Shadi Abou-Zahra - http://www.w3.org/People/shadi/
> [...]

testkreis - das Accessibility-Team von feld.wald.wiese
c/o feld.wald.wiese
Thedestraße 2
22767 Hamburg

Tel   +49 (0)40 439 10 68-3
Mobil +49 (0)1577 170 73 84
Fax   +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites