Re: Following properly documented existing procedures - A hypothetical question?

Hi Alistair,

Is the scene you sketch here (below) a realistic one? I.e., will you ever be asked to poke around a site that has published conformance claims for individual pages to prove the site owner wrong? I would imagine interest groups and organisations would much rather test and then shame or sue site owners who clearly violate accessibility best practices, not those sites that actually made the effort to test and document conformance claims?

In any case (as I keep repeating) there is enough wiggle room on the level of operationalized testing for any two testers to arrive at different results when testing content against particular WCAG techniques.

Take the headings techniques G141 and H42 (http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/G141.html and http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-TECHS/H42.html). While you may think it is clearly implied here that headings should be used to reflect the hierarchy, checks in both techniques refrain from requing correct nesting, and F2 has a somewhat ambiguous check ("Check that the proper semantic structure (e.g., HTML headings) is used with the text to convey the information") which can be interpreted both ways (A) just check headings are marked up with h1-h6 regardless of flawless hierarchy, or (B) checking any heading mark-up in the context of the overall structure (including content headed).

As we know, WCAG-EM refrains from specifying *how* to test, so your WCAG-EM evaluator will have to make up his or her mind how to operationalize on the practical level (not necessarily following the same procedure as the one used by the organisation making the conformance claim). By the same token, checks according to WCAG-EM will never be strictly repeatable UNLESS you follow a highly operationalized and well documented procedure which is clearly not part of WCAG-EM. (And even then, there remains ample wiggle room in many SCs, as I know from the experience of tandem-testing sites according to the same operationalized procedure).

Finally, even if your own different testing procedure reveals failures of Sufficient Techniques, this will be no more than an *indication* of a SC failure since the disclaimer under each and every test in a sufficient technique makes it clear that conformance to the SC *may* have been reached in some other way - which you'd need to sniff out if you wanted to dispute the claim. It seems that using Failure Techniques would be the only way to safely dispute a claim (but see F2 which did nit help in the example above). But then again -- is that really a realistic scenario?

Best,
Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis - das Accessibility-Team von feld.wald.wiese

Tel   +49 (0)40 439 10 68-3
Mobil +49 (0)1577 170 73 84
Fax   +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites