Re: uses cases for evaluation (and reporting) (was Re: Step 1.b Goal of the Evaluation - Design support evaluation vs. conformance evaluation?)

Hi Shadi,

Thank you for moving this discussion forward.  More comments in-line below.

> We discussed these three use cases. Here is an attempted write-up for
> these use cases, for discussion:
>

> - Initial Evaluation: Typically carried out when organizations first
> start out with accessibility and want to learn about how well their
> website conforms to WCAG 2.0 in order to improve it. It is expected
> that the website will likely not conform, and the main purpose of the
> evaluation is to identify the types of barriers on the website, and
> possibly to highlight some of the possible repairs, so that these can
> be addressed in future developments.

For me, I would rather see this as a "Development Evaluation". Something
undertaken when the site owner (or web application owner) expects things
aren't fully accessible yet, and is interested in understanding the
extent to which work will need to be done.  Often (or at least
hopefully!) such evaluations will be undertaken part-way through the
development process, before the site/application is generally available
and while there is still significant time left in the development
process to make significant changes (e.g. to choices of UI component
sets, templates, etc.).

Report output would likely be more technical in such a circumstance I
think, and detailed lists of bugs with information on how to reproduce
them will be of significant importance.

> - Periodic Evaluation: Typically carried out periodically to monitor
> how well conformance to WCAG 2.0 was maintained, or progress towards
> conformance to WCAG 2.0 was achieved during a given period. The main
> purpose of such evaluations is comparability of the results between
> iterations. In some cases particular areas of the website may have
> changed, or the entire website may have been redesigned between one
> evaluation and the next, and evaluators will need to consider these
> changes during the sampling and reporting stages of the evaluation.

For me, I see this more as "Regression Evaluation".  Something
undertaken both to monitor how accessibility is improving (or
regressing), as well as to measure the results of an improvement program.

Report output may be more in summary form, giving a broad measure of the
level of improvement/regression, and perhaps discussing that by area or
type (e.g. "image tagging has broadly improved, with only ~5% of images
missing ALT text vs. ~20% 6 months ago, within our tested sample of
pages").

This might also be used by a development organization, (e.g. when a
product goes through various development stages: alpha, beta, etc.),
though I would expect in those cases they might simply run another
"Development Evaluation", since they will still be focused - at least
from the reporting point of view - on the detailed issues found.
Middle/senior management may prefer a summary.

> - Confirmation Evaluation: Typically carried out to confirm a claim
> made by the vendor or supplier, where a website is assumed to meet
> particular conformance targets in relation to WCAG 2.0. The main
> purpose of such evaluation is to validate a conformance claim with
> reasonable confidence, or to identify potential mismatches between the
> conformance claim and the website. Such evaluations are often re-run
> while the vendor or supplier addresses confirmed issues. The intervals
> are typically shorter than for Periodic Evaluations and are also more
> focused towards the issues previously identified.

The title "Confirmation Evaluation" suggests this is evaluation is NOT
made by the owner of the site/application, which I think is a mistake.
I would hope the same steps an owner might take to evaluate the
accessibility of their site/application is the same as what a
customer/user might do (or a consumer organization).  Some may use it to
confirm a vendor's claim, but others may use it to assure themselves
that their development organization did what was expected, or a gov't
agency may seek this from a contractor who did work for them (and then
do their own mini-spot-check).

Also, I am REALLY UNCOMFORTABLE with the word "conformance claim" in
your characterization Shadi.  Unless every page of the entire site (and
every possible UI permutation in a web app) has been thoroughly
examined, I don't see how an entity can properly make a "conformance
claim" for an entire site/ web app.  I think instead we need a new
word/phrase here, and should be talking about confidence levels around
the extent to which all WCAG 2.0 SCs (at A/AA/AAA) have been met.

> I think these now reflect both the timing as well as indicate a little
> bit more on the typical "depth" of an evaluation. We'll probably also
> need to explain that there are many variances of these typical cases
> depending on the website, context, etc. It is a spectrum, really.

Fully agree with this!

Peter

> Comments and feedback welcome.
>
> Best,
>   Shadi
>

> On 6.6.2013 16:10, Detlev Fischer wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> just some quick input in case you do cover my proposal to modify
>> "Goal of the Evaluation" today.
>>
>> I get that #3 In Depth analysis report is close to what I would call
>> "design support test" (or "development support test") since you
>> usually conduict it when you *know* that the site will not conform -
>> tyhe aim is to identify all the issues that nieed to be addressed
>> before a conformance evluation has a chance to be successful.
>>
>> Since it usually comes first, I find it odd that it is mentioned
>> last, and that no hint is given that this is usually an evaluation
>> where the aim is *not* a conformance evaluation (because you already
>> know that there will be a number of issues that fail SCs).
>>
>> The on thing lacking in goal #3 is the requirement to cover all SCs
>> acros the sample of pages (with or without detail) and by doing so,
>> providing a benchmark for the degree of conformance already reached -
>> even if it is necessarilz a crude one.
>>
>> So there are 2 things that are missing in the three types of goals we
>> have now:
>>
>> (1) a clear indication (in the name of the report type) that there is
>> one evaluation that does *not* aim for measuring conformance but
>> happens in preparation of a final test, with the aim to uneath problems;
>> (2) the ability in this tpe of test to provide a metric of success
>> across all SCs for the pages in the sample that can be compared to a
>> later conformance evaluation of the same site.
>>
>> Sorry, I would have loved to participate today but my voice isn't up
>> to it...
>>
>> Best,
>> Detlev
>> On 5 Jun 2013, at 16:34, Velleman, Eric wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Detlev,
>>>
>>> tend to look at the more detailed explanation of the three types of
>>> Reports in Step 5.a [1]:
>>>
>>> 1. Basic Report
>>> 2. Detailed Report
>>> 3. In-Depth Analysis Report
>>>
>>> For me the difference between #2 and #3 is in the level of detail
>>> that is required in the Report. #2 is more on the page level, and #3
>>> is more on the website level:
>>>
>>> #3 is a way of reporting that does not require you to name every
>>> failure on every page. The evaluator is asked to give a certain
>>> amount of examples of the occurrence of the failures on the website
>>> (not every page like in the detailed report). This makes #2 better
>>> for statistics and research.
>>>
>>> Does this make sense?
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>

>>> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG-EM/#step5