From: Velleman, Eric [evelleman@bartimeus.nl]
Sent: Tuesday, 16 July 2013 9:00 PM
To: Peter Korn
Cc: Detlev Fischer; Shadi Abou-Zahra; Eval TF
Subject: RE: uses cases for evaluation (and reporting) (was Re: Step 1.b   Goal of the Evaluation - Design support evaluation vs. conformance   evaluation?)

Hi Peter, all,

Let me go back a step. Maybe the title of the section 1.b is wrong and should not be 'define the goal of the evaluation' but something like 'extra requirements by evaluation commissioner' (not sure if requirements is the right word).

The reason for this is that in my opinion, the goal of WCAG-EM seems obvious. IMHO the only goal of the full conformance evaluation is a … full conformance evaluation. I think we are defining the minimum requirements for such an evaluation. This means that 'goal' is not the issue here.

The experience I have in the Netherlands is that the real issue is what the customer wants. Does he want more pages (on top of the minimum) evaluated, does he want more or less detail than the defined minimum? In that case, our goal is to 'just' define the minimum requirements for WCAG-EM and indicate how and where there are possibilities to extend that if that is the specific wish of the evaluation commissioner.

So instead of branching out the current section 1.b. we narrow it down to scoping additional wishes by evaluation commissioners that would normally not fall within the minimum requirements for WCAG-EM. This will make the methodology more flexible.

In my opinion use cases as we are discussing them now are not goals of the full conformance evaluation.
- Evaluation commissioners can always ask an evaluator to do more (larger sample etc.). We can address that in the methodology by indicating how and where they could do that.
- Evaluation commissioners may ask the evaluator to phone them if the accessibility of the website is horrible. They can then choose to let the evaluator stop or to go on with it.

Hope this makes more sense.

Eric

=========================
Eric Velleman