Van: Detlev Fischer [detlev.fischer@testkreis.de]
Verzonden: zondag 27 januari 2013 10:58
Aan: Velleman, Eric
CC: public-wai-evaltf@w3.org
Onderwerp: Re: Size of random sample

Hi all,

To clarify my position:

IF we find a way of describing an practical approach for random sampling (i.e. an approach that does not require a science degree and/or sophisticated tools), and make sure it can be applied across the very different evaluation cases WCAG-EM must deal with. I have no problem with making it mandatory. In my view, the description:

> "Include a random sample of at least 20 percent of the number of web pages that are in the structured sample or a minimum of 5 random web pages from the scope of the website into the sample (if available)."

does not meet those criteria of 'practical' and 'applicable' - it does not say anything about how you should do it and what will count as 'random'. A tester can do as she  or he likes and is not required to document how he or she arrived at the random sample (which is fine in my view, but may have little to do with a random procedure, and there is no way to check this independently).

An alternative more practical description in line with Richard's approach might be:

1. Conduct a site-specific search with an search engine (e.g., google site:www.testsite.com)
2. Pick every tenth (or nth, to be determined) entry on your hit list.
3. View each page and check if the type is already covered by your sample so far. If so, move on.
3. If you find a template not yet included or content types (such as video, data tables, forms,
   interactive content) not already covered, add the page to your sample
4. Stop when you have selected n additional pages (or the number of pages selected amounts to
   i% of you total sample, whichever condition is met earlier)

This will not always work and it will ignore dynamically generated pages that are not brought up by the crawler, but at least the tester knows what to do. The statement may be scoped to those cases where it does work (small to medium sized websites at are not primarily applications).

Regards,
Detlev

--
Detlev Fischer
testkreis - das Accessibility-Team von feld.wald.wiese

Tel   +49 (0)40 439 10 68-3
Mobil +49 (0)1577 170 73 84
Fax   +49 (0)40 439 10 68-5

http://www.testkreis.de
Beratung, Tests und Schulungen für barrierefreie Websites